In my very large family, it has become tradition that at about midnight, the buns and the leftovers come out to make some epic leftover sandwiches. Over the years, I think I have mastered the perfect sandwich and decided to share my “recipe” for it.
What You Need
- Leftover turkey
- Leftover ham
- Leftover roasted carrots or sweet potato (if none available, leftover cranberry sauce works)
- Leftover stuffing
- Hot Mustard (any mustard will do if you do not like hot mustard)
- Ground Black Pepper
- Crusty bun (mini baguettes, ciabatta, or Italian buns work really well)
Steps to a perfect sandwich
Now the assembly for this sandwich is key to ensure the flavours meld together for a delicious mouthful in each bite.
- Open the bun and on the top side, spread the butter and a thin layer of mustard. On the bottom half, pour gravy on it and spread the gravy into the bun making sure you get all the nooks and crannies.
- 1st layer of the sandwich is the roasted carrots, sweet potato or cranberry sauce. The key is to not use a lot, just enough to smash them down so they are mashed and spread over the surface of the bun.
- Next add the turkey, white or dark or both. If using white meat, I do suggest using a bit more gravy as white meat is a little dryer than dark.
- Next add the stuffing, again, mash it down into the turkey so it sticks.
- Ham is next. Add a sprinkle of black pepper
That’s it! You can heat it slightly if you wish but usually the heat of the gravy is just enough.
Hope you like it as much as we do!